Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Airport

Last night my parents and I celebrated the New Year in our hotel room near the San Francisco airport with our friends in Lima, at 9:00 pm. After waking up at 4:30 this morning, I now sit at gate 94 at SFO, looking out over the dark tarmac. It's quiet here, which is nice. I'm finally finding that peace I was looking for, finally able to rest, knowing that I'm on my way.

Just a little over twelve hours until I land in Lima, until summer begins. That's only twelve hours to finish my pre-trip reading. I finished the first book Christen asked me to read yesterday. If you haven't read When Helping Hurts, you should. It gives a very insightful perspective on poverty alleviation in the Majority World. On the plane I will be attempting to make a dent in Serving with Eyes Wide Open. I also received many recommendations from friends regarding good music to listen to, and so that will also occupy much of my time today.

Again, thank you for your prayers as I travel. Today, I would like to ask for prayers for safety and rest, and for the preparation of my heart, eyes, and body. I'm am extremely excited about finally starting out on this adventure, and am extremely grateful to each of you. Again, thank you all very much.

1 comment:

  1. Travis, your dad just sent me your link. I have kids reading in class on Tuesday morning. I just wanted to say that I am praying for you, delighted to be sharing your thoughts as you write. I feel that I am closer to being there with you. Have a great day. Love, Uncle Bill

    ReplyDelete